Trademark Paralegal Assistant
Handle a wide variety of projects in a fast-paced, demanding and evolving environment. Expert in intellectual property (particularly trademarks but also including patents, copyrights and domain names) and food labeling and advertising compliance. Significant independent work and requires the ability to make judgments and provide direction in difficult and sometimes ambiguous situations. Education: Bachelor’s degree, strong academic credentials. 3-7 plus years of experience in relevant fields. • Competitive salary • Comprehensive benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k) and Pension Plan • Beautiful headquarters in the heart of downtown San Francisco, close to the Embarcadero and SOMA • Onsite gym • Pet adoption assistance and discounted pet insurance plans. Big Heart Pet Brands is an EOE. No sponsorship is available for this position.
Trademark Paralegal Assistant
THE BROAD FUNCTION AND SCOPE OF THE POSITION:
In this Legal Assistant position, the individual is expected to handle a wide variety of projects in a fast-paced, demanding and evolving environment. The person will need to be an expert in intellectual property (particularly trademarks but also including patents, copyrights and domain names) and food labeling and advertising compliance. The position involves significant independent work and requires the ability to make judgments and provide direction in difficult and sometimes ambiguous situations.
THE PRINCIPAL CONTINUING RESPONSIBILITIES IN ORDER OF IMPORTANCE:
Intellectual Property Portfolio Management
• Manage the administration of the Company’s trademark portfolio worldwide.
• Act as liaison with outside counsel for prosecution, protection and maintenance of Company’s trademarks.
• Interface with outside counsel regarding trademark enforcement actions as needed, including preparing cease & desist letters and assisting with opposition proceedings filed with the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
• Conduct and review preliminary and comprehensive trademark searches; report results to supervising attorney and clients; draft trademark clearance opinions.
• Prepare and file new trademark applications, declarations and renewals; submit specimens and evidence of use as necessary with the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office.
• Ensure that Company’s trademark database is kept current.
• Review watch-notices for possible oppositions and infringements and ensure timely filings or appropriate actions are taken.
• Provide trademark and patent portfolio reports to management and clients as requested.
• Maintain patent database; interface with patent counsel to ensure our rights are maintained and annuities are timely paid.
• Prepare and file copyright applications.
• Interface with vendors to ensure maintenance of docketing systems and other resources.
• File, maintain and police Company domain names.
Label and Advertising Compliance:
• Review all Company advertising and labeling to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
• Review all advertising and labeling for proper trademark and copyright use.
• Timely communicate with the client regarding approval or rejection of advertising and labeling and work with client to develop acceptable alternatives. Become proficient in the Company’s remote graphics approval system (currently SGS Remote Approval).
• Review Company website, Facebook pages, and other social media to ensure legal compliance.
• Stay current in evolving areas of the law.
Contract Preparation and Review:
• Prepare and revise basic contracts, including promotion agreements, license agreements, publicity agreements, authorization of use agreements and confidentiality agreements.
• Review official rules and regulations for promotions, including contests and sweepstakes, to confirm compliance and accuracy.
• Provide paralegal support to attorneys as requested (third party trademark use, licensee requests regarding trade dress changes, copyright filings, etc.).
• Assist in special projects as necessary.
• Provide notary services as needed (but not a requirement.)
• Participate in industry groups and in industry forums to represent Big Heart Pet Brands’ interests; participate on cross functional teams within Big Heart Pet Brands to promote efficiencies and continuous improvement in the review, searching and approval processes.
• Stay current on new developments in the law by attending classes, reading legal updates, etc.
• Continue to train and provide detailed information to Marketing and Brand groups to keep them updated on relevant legal requirements regarding IP use and claims.
• Participate in new product development for labels, advertising, claims and substantiation.
Education: Bachelor’s degree, strong academic credentials.
Years of Experience: 3-7 plus years of experience in relevant fields.
• Experience maintaining an international trademark docket.
• In house and CPG industry experience preferred.
• Other Qualifications (Licenses/Certification): Trademark Paralegal Certificate desired • Possess excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, the ability to work independently and the ability to make judgments in difficult and ambiguous situations.
• Strong client service orientation and sense of urgency.
• Team player and positive attitude.
• Ability to deal effectively with personnel in and outside the Company; ability to interface effectively with outside counsel.
• Competitive salary
• Comprehensive benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k) and Pension Plan • Beautiful headquarters in the heart of downtown San Francisco, close to the Embarcadero and SOMA • Onsite gym • Pet adoption assistance and discounted pet insurance plans
Big Heart Pet Brands doesn’t believe in just owning pets. It believes in loving them. The company is committed to the well-being of pets and the people who love them. With a focus on nourishing the bodies and spirits of cats and dogs, Big Heart Pet Brands makes quality products that meet pets’ needs and exceed pet parents’ expectations. Its portfolio of brands, with a foundation in food and treats, caters to every pet’s life stage and every family’s budget through the availability and accessibility of its products.
Big Heart Pet Brands is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No sponsorship is available for this position.